Monday, November 24, 2008

Potato Gouda and Chive Soup

Another yummy recipe from the recipe swap! This is actually the first one I made, but I wasn't as actively blogging then, so here you go! Also, I have half of this frozen and I'm waiting for some cold winter night in December to finish it off!

Side note: I bought a "normal" size block of smoked Gouda and shredded all of it before realizing that it was twice as much cheese as I needed! So, I dumped all of it in (because really, what are you going to do with an extra cup of shredded Gouda??) - still tasty! However, I probably recommend just using the suggested 1 cup and eating the rest of the block while you're making the soup! ;)

Ingredients
8-10 med-large Yukon gold potatoes, sliced
49 oz. Swanson's chicken broth
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup shredded smoked Gouda
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
Salt (as desired) and freshly ground black pepper (good with lots of pepper)
1 onion, carmelized
Additional chives for garnish

Preparation
Place the potatoes and 2 cups of the stock in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, or until the potatoes are just tender.

Transfer two-thirds of the potatoes to a food processor or blender, along with the cooking liquid. (Let it cool before blending.) Add the garlic and carmelized onion. Blend to the desired consistency: a blender will yield a smooth texture, a food processor a rough, rustic consistency. (Or use an immersion blender—so you don’t have to wait for it to cool.)

Return the potato purée to the slow cooker and stir in the shredded cheese, remaining stock and the chives. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes, or until the soup is well heated. Add extra stock or water if the soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper.

You can do the whole soup on the stove in a stock pot - there's no reason it has to be done in the crockpot!

Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with the chives, and serve immediately. Serves 6-8. Freezes well.

1 comment:

Uncle KT said...

I only got one recipe back from that swap and someone I sent the email out to didn't get any back! I'll count this one as "2" since it was a swap recipe.