Sunday, March 08, 2009

Spring Planting

It's hard not to get in the spring mood once March hits Minneapoland, but it's far too cold out yet to even think about planting outdoors! There's still snow on the ground, and the spruce tops I put in the planters on our doorstep are still frozen in the soil (and now turning brown, so it'd be great if it would thaw so we could throw them out!). Nonetheless, I needed a touch of spring, so I headed down to the greenhouse this morning to pick up a few things. I purchased potting soil so that I could transplant the two houseplants I have into bigger pots. I think they look pretty good!



I also picked out plants for a terrarium. I have an old glass desiccator from the lab that I have been wanting to do something with, so after seeing the awesome terrariums that my labmate, K, made with the desiccators she took home, I was inspired to make my own! I picked out three plants, but one was far too big, so it got a new home in one of the pots that were empty after all of my transplanting.



All in all, I think things turned out pretty well - but I can't wait until it's warm enough to get back out into my gardens again!!

No comments: