Thursday, October 08, 2009

6 Products I Could Not Live Without

I've been thinking about this post for awhile, but haven't gotten around to writing it up. Due to some recent developments (almost losing our dog in southern MN) and the changing weather, I've come to realize how much I rely on certain products, so I'd like to share them with all of you! But more importantly, what are some of YOUR favorite products?

1) Boomerang ID pet tags
I randomly came across these pet tags online when we first got our dog, Jonas. Since he's a large outdoor dog, I wanted to find something that was more likely to stay on his collar then the dangling ones that are common. So what's great about these tags? For one, the first tag I purchased works only on adjustable collars, which is what we predominantly use for Jonas. Instead of sliding onto the collar, it fits around the doubled-up part of the collar, and it STAYS!

Additionally, if it happens to fall off and get lost, they will replace your ID tag free of charge (this did happen once - who knows what Jonas was doing to get it to fall off, but I was able to get a replacement very quickly and they even had his particular tag in their database so I didn't have to refill out all of his info). After almost losing Jonas in the cornfields of southern MN, we decided to get a new blaze orange reflective collar (since we are entering deer hunting season, and he looks like a small deer!), but we needed a separate tag for this collar because it wasn't an adjustable one like our others. So I recently purchased one of their slide-on collar tags and am feeling better about his identification if he wanders off again.


2) Salsa Chopper

My mom and I purchased cheap, infomercial-like salsa makers at the MN state fair a few years ago and I was surprised by how much I use it! You literally just dump in your fresh ingredients, chop them up, and viola! You have fresh salsa. Plus, I almost never chop anything by hand anymore, I just toss it into the salsa chopper quick. Yes, I do have a food processor, and I also have a smaller Pampered Chef hand chopper, but I still use my salsa chopper more than either of the others.

3) Aerosole Mules

You may think it's weird that I have a shoe on my list, however I have worn this particular shoe for at least 3 years and it has faithfully stood by me through many falls and winters. They are the perfect size heel - just enough to make the legs and long jeans I prefer to wear look good, but low enough that my calves and shins aren't dying by the end of the day. I've purchased too many to count - I wear them out to the point of the heel almost breaking off and have to replace them as necessary (which is not to say that they're unsturdy, but that I wreak havoc on my heels). Last winter I went a little crazy and picked up a bunch on clearance - including some pseudo-sherpa lined ones that will keep my toes extra warm in the cold MN weather. I think I currently own 5 pairs (2 leather - 1 black and 1 brown, 1 black suede microjersey type, which is unfortunately a little chilly in the winter since the pores let all the cold air through!, and 2 pseudo-sherpa ones in brown and camel). They are the perfect shoe.

4) Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion

I recently discovered this little jewel made by Urban Decay after having it recommended to me by my hairstylist (she was waxing my eyebrows and noticed that my eye shadow was pooling in the crease of my eye, to which I replied that I did in fact use an eye shadow primer, but was obviously not using the RIGHT one). You can find it at Sephora - it's $17 for a little tube, but you don't need much and it seriously makes your eye shadow stay put all day long! Plus, because it makes such a brilliant base, you can really pile on the color for a more dramatic effect.

5) Mr. Clean Magic Erasers

If you haven't tried these out, you should. They were recommended to me by a friend a few years back, and I can't live without them. By just adding water, you can clean the inside of your toilet bowl, the soap scum out of your shower or bathtub, and all of the grease off of your stove top (maybe not all with the same one...). They are amazing.

6) 3M Ocelo Scrub Sponges

Yes, I have two cleaning products on this list, but I'm a clean freak and really enjoy products that make that task any bit easier. That being said, I could go on about my new Shark steam mop, or the bliss of Clorox disinfecting wipes, but I'll just stick with these two. I happened across these scrubbers when I was looking for something that would work on a daily basis without being too harsh on my dishes. I really hate washclothes - they act as a harbor for germs and get smelly and slimy if you leave them in your sink for too long. So, I discovered the perfect solution in the Ocelo Scrubbers - one side is a soft microfiber, while the other side is a harder scrubbing side. Considering how often I use them I still haven't noticed any weird smells emitting from them, which makes me wonder if they're not actually coated with an antimicrobial substance. That would not surprise me, since they're made by 3M, however I think if they were actually coated they would state that. Either way, they stay clean (and relatively germ free, I believe), dry out easily (which helps with the clean aspect), and work well for cleaning my dishes. Plus, they come in fun colors and patterns!

So those are my fave products - do you have a fave product or two? If so, please share in the comments section!

1 comment:

Laura said...

What an awesome idea for a post! Ok here are mine:
1. DVR - Yes it has to be #1 on the list because it is amazing. I can't even describe how wonderful...
2. The Scotchbrite cooktop cleaner - Wow we both have 3M products on our list! If you have a flat cooktop this thing is amazing! It really works like the ads say!
3. Microsoft Excel - I know this is a weird one but it is a product so I think it counts. I really love making lists and I love how this adds everything up so quickly.
4. Google Calendar - Maybe this one is a stretch as a product but I don't know how many appointments I would miss if I didn't have my little calendar on my computer homepage.
5. My featherbed mattress pad - It just makes me feel so cozy everytime I get in bed.
6. My GPS - I use it even when I know exactly where I'm going. I love that it tells you what time you are going to get someplace!