Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Honest Scrap Award


I just got tagged for an Honest Scrap Award by fellow friend and blogger at Fixing It Fancy. Here's the scoop:


*This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blog content or design is, in the giver’s opinion, brilliant.

*When accepting this award, you must write a post bragging about it, including the name of the person who thinks you deserve such acclaim, and link back to the said person so everyone knows she/he is real.

*Choose a minimum of seven blogs that you find brilliant in content or design. Or improvise by including bloggers who have no idea who you are because you don’t have seven. Show the blog names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with the Honest Scrap award.

*List at least ten honest things about yourself. Then pass it on!


So here goes!
1) As you can probably tell, I love Alice in Wonderland. I've loved the story since I was a little girl and I played the part of Alice in a local children's theater production. I've collected numerous copies of the book and all sorts of other memorabilia (including snow globes, a cookie jar, Christmas decorations, etc.). It was one of my very first collections that I started.

2) I grew up going to antique shops, flea markets, and rummage sales with my parents, so I have an avid interest in collecting things (and finding really great vintage bargains!). My favorite (right now) is glassware. I don't collect any group in particular, but like to pick up odd pieces that catch my eye. I'm debating whether I want to take this up a notch and start collecting expensive pieces - such as this amazing Fenton glassware.

I think the main reason I'm drawn to this glassware may be because it seems to be very Alice-esque!

3) My husband and I bought our first house over four years ago, and since then we've managed to paint (or wallpaper) each room in the house. The house had been decorated in the 1980s-1990s country-style, with lots of plaid wallpaper and plain white walls, and there were forest green accents throughout! Even the outside trim of the house and garage is all done in forest green (and therefore very hard to get rid of...). Since then, we've eliminated almost all the forest green from the inside of the house (minus some forest green carpet in the hallway and office, which is in too good of shape to replace at this point), and we've added cranberry storm and entry doors to act as accents to the forest green trim and shutters. Since I love color, most of the rooms in the house are painted in very saturated colors - an almost minty green for the living room, yellows and reds for our bedroom, yellow with bright vertical stripes for the nursery, and large, horizontal stripes of teal, aquamarine, and green for the basement living area.

4) I love decorating for the holidays - I've already pulled out various pumpkins, ghosts, and orange lights for Halloween, but I'm really looking forward to pulling out the Christmas decorations. I think I'm even more excited for Christmas decorating this year because we may actually have company that gets to see it over the holiday season - since our baby is due January 1st, we won't be able to travel back to southern MN to spend the holidays with our families. So if they want to see us - they'll have to come up to the cities!

5) I'm a baker. I enjoy cooking, but I LOVE baking. I tend to bake more when stressed (which worked out well for my college roomies during finals weeks!). I sometimes enjoy doing a fussier recipe, but for the most part I like recipes that are fairly straight-forward and simple, but still have an amazing taste impact. Unfortunately, since I am a baker, if I'm craving sweets, they almost always have to be made fresh, from scratch - so with the exception of a few pre-made cookies (Halloween Oreos) and some quick brownie mixes, I mostly make a batch of cookies or bars every time I'm in the mood for sugar!

6) I'm semi-obsessed with Barbra Streisand. (Her new CD, Love is the Answer, is out by the way - and amazing!) My hubby surprised me with tickets to see her in concert a few years ago, and even though we were only a couple of rows from the very TOP of the Xcel Center, it was worth every penny.

7) My husband and I met in elementary school. We almost had a wedding on the playground, but it was stopped due to the fact that my mom caught me printing off 40 invites on our computer the night before. 15 years later, we're happily married and expecting our first baby.

8) If this whole microbiology teaching and research thing doesn't work out...I want to A) own a gift, book, and antique shop, B) move to Sonoma and run a vineyard with my hubby, or C) become a professional photographer. I just like having options.

9) I have two pets that drive me absolutely crazy. A 3.5 year old chocolate lab named Jonas (boy) and a 5 year old long haired gray cat named Sydney (boy, also). I'm slightly terrified to see how they handle being second (and third) fiddle to the new baby, but I can't imagine our lives without either one of them.

10) I owe my overly-large jacket and coat collection to my grandma, who has probably as many as I do and used to buy me new coats for Christmas. Thanks to her, I can't pass by a coat rack without at least checking it out (if not finding one to take home with me!).

So that's me. Here are the blogs I'd like to tag for the Honest Scrap Award:

1) Doctor Pistachio
2) Prairie Dog Companion
3) The Caswell Family
4) Farmer Julie
5) Hope Studios
6) Electric Boogaloo
7) Uncle KT

2 comments:

angela said...

Mandy, I love your 10 things! My favorite was about the playground wedding; what a good story. So cute. :)

Jenni said...

Hey Mandy! Thanks for the award! I am excited to also start following your blog, too. Congrats on the upcoming arrival of your little one. Parenthood is great!