Monday, August 30, 2010

ALASKA - Homer and Anchorage

Whew! It's been a whirlwind the past two weeks! Our family made the big trip to Alaska and back, the hubby and I worked one day, then we got back into a car to drive 5 hours north to Grand Forks, ND for a wedding (and then turned around and came back the next morning!). I may need to blog in increments in order to avoid overwhelming you! Meanwhile, the baby has grown by leaps and bounds - she started crawling right before we left on the trip, and while we were in Alaska, she had two more teeth pop through her gums. It has been an eventful couple of weeks!

The flight:
Mia was awesome! She slept through takeoff from Mpls to Chicago, and again from Chicago to Anchorage. The pressure didn't bother her at all! In fact, she was so quiet that there was a women sitting in front of us that didn't realize there was a baby sitting behind her until she was getting off of the plane in Anchorage! Success!

We arrived late in Anchorage and promptly headed to my uncle and aunt's place in Eagle River (just outside of town). We stayed up way too late eating popcorn and pizza and catching up with the family, and then we finally all crashed due to sheer exhaustion. The next morning we were treated to a big breakfast made by uncle Kurt, enjoyed the views from their back deck,

then we loaded our stuff back up into the vehicles and started the 5 hour drive to Homer, Alaska. We took a leisurely trip to Homer, so that we could explore a bit of the Kenai Penisula and make the trip as easy as possible on the baby. We stopped along the road to view the beautiful mountains and Turnagain Arm of the Cook Inlet.

We also took a tram up 2,300 ft in elevation to the top of Mt. Alyeska at Alyeska Resort. We got a better look at the remaining glaciers in this area, but it was COLD!

We met up with uncle Kurt and Sam and Zach in Soldotna, and did some beer sampling at St. Elias Brewing Company. Sam and Zach even got to try out their homemade root beer and cream soda!

After the break, we decided it was time to crank out the rest of the trip, but once on the road, the baby decided she was HUNGRY and we ended up making a stop at beach in Clam Gultch, which was worth the extra stop!

But FINALLY, we made it to Homer!

Things got even better when we made it up the mountain to our house! It was awesome - roomy, comfy, and it had GREAT views (and a tree house!)!

The group split up for the two days in Homer - mom, Mia, Sam, and I headed to the Spit (the long, thin peninsula off of the tip of the large peninsula that we were on) for shopping, fresh halibut fish 'n chips, and exploring the beach,

while the guys went on a day-long charter fishing trip.

It was on the first morning, as the guys were heading out EARLY to catch their boat, that we saw a mama moose followed by her 2 babies walk through our yard! I was feeding the baby, so I missed the mama, and didn't have time to grab my camera, but it was pretty awesome!

The second day, mom and Sam joined the fishers for another half-day trip, while David, Stephen, Mia, and I headed back to the Spit for lunch, then hit the Homer Brewing Co. and Bear Creek Winery (the winery was great, the brewery, not so much), before meandering back to Anchorage.


J-Funk said...

Awesome! So beautiful! Glad you survived with the baby.

Any tips for long car rides? We have our first coming up.

MJ said...

We just make sure to take plenty of stops - to feed her and let her stretch out! Now that she's eating solids, we used a lot of puffs and crunchies (Gerber baby snacks) to keep her entertained! And since she's constantly teething, we make sure to have her teething rings and beads along at all times! ;) Also, we received this feeding spoon as a gift and that worked well to feed her on the trip - it holds the baby food in the handle and you can squeeze it out to feed her. It was really handy!