Friday, March 25, 2011


Is it spring yet? Evidently not, considering we got another few inches of snow this week and haven't made it into the 40s for days. Bleh. I've been swamped in the lab as I am trying to get some useful results to include in my poster that I will be presenting at the SNIP (Society of NeuroImmunoPharmacology, you're jealous, I know) conference in a couple of weeks - at least it's in Clearwater Beach, FL, thank god. And as is typical for research, any time you really really need some new data, everything quits working. This is the life.

Meanwhile, we had a long weekend last weekend and we planned to travel back home to visit both of our families. Unfortunately, I came home Thursday afternoon to our basement flooded from all of the spring thaw (in the 50 degree spring weather we had briefly last week). We spent the night cleaning up water, pulling up carpet, and running fans to try to dry out the carpet pad in our basement guest bedroom. The next morning, after assessing the situation, we decided to go home anyways. There wasn't much more we could do except watch the carpet pad dry out. We had a brief, but enjoyable, trip back home, and thankfully came home to a dry carpet pad on Sunday. Then it rained on Tuesday and we started the process all over again. The basement flooded - through the egress window, which is what we thought had happened originally. This time instead of thawing snow, we had rain piling up in the driveway that seeped into the egress and then down into the bedroom. David came home to wait for the Maytag repair man (oh yeah, during all of this our dishwasher was also broken), so he started cleaning up water in the afternoon, and I was able to come home early to help. My parents graciously offered to come up and help us figure out what was going on - which led to David and my dad sandbagging and caulking around the egress window as the rain switched to ice cold sleet, in the dark. We ended up having to rip out the carpet pad in the bedroom and we had enough water under the pad to have to suck it up with the wet vac. Since then it's been too cold to have any more raining or thawing, so we'll just have to wait and see if the caulking will solve the problem. So, our basement, which we recently FINISHED, is a disaster. It lasted a month. I'll post pictures this weekend, if I remember. The mattress from the guest bedroom is on the floor in the living room, and the bed frame, dresser, night stand and any other junk that we had to move away from the water is piled on and around one of our couches. Last night, David and I went down there to watch a show on our DVR and could sit on the loveseat, but had to put our feet up on the bed, since we didn't have room to recline our seats. Oh, and the mini refrigerator door seems to be breaking on top of everything else! Bah! Ridiculous.

Amelia is walking. All of the time now. A couple of weeks ago we noticed that she was walking more, and all of a sudden this week she is almost entirely walking. It's wild to see her saunter across the room. She's getting quicker every day! She likes to sing and dance and bounce on our knees. She still loves the pets, Syd has been letting her harass him more and more (I think he likes the attention). She's blowing kisses and saying "HI" all of the time (evidently she's decided that is her new favorite word - it's nice to have a break from hearing "doggy" all of the time, though!).

That's about all I have time for. I need to get to get back to work!

No comments: