Thursday, October 18, 2012

Waverly's Harvest Homecoming

We made a quick trip home this past weekend to participate in the family church's first annual Harvest Homecoming event. My parents were part of the group that set up this event, which included Liz (a girl I used to nanny for when I was in high school, who is now a sophomore in college up here at the U) teaching 2nd graders from a church in St. Paul (Gloria Dei) all about agriculture last year. Those 2nd graders, which are now 3rd graders, came down on buses with their families for the day. Extended family and friends of Waverly were also invited (hence our invitation). The day included a large, kid-focused church service, a dinner complete with pork chops on a stick, cheesy potatoes, salads, and lots of bars, and then time to break into groups to learn about (and climb on) all types of farm machinery, to see and pet baby farm animals, to learn about gardening and canning from the local ladies, and to have lots of fellowship with one another. It was a great experience for all of us - Mia LOVED it, and I really enjoyed getting to catch up with my old Waverly "family." Daniel was in charge of teaching the families from Gloria Dei about the farm machinery and Kendra kept the kids busy after lunch with lots of games, while mom, as church president, had to do some opening and closing speeches. All in all, I think it was a huge success and I was extremely proud of my family and all of the hard work they (and others) have put into it!





 Cemetery games, just like the 'good-ol-days!'
 "I found a pumpkin, mom!"









 Mia's first horse ride! (And daddy's third time, ever, on a horse!)


No comments: