Monday, April 29, 2013

Other Happenings

  
Skol Vikings! Big draft for the Vikes this weekend! The whole family was outfitted in Vikings gear to watch round one on Thursday!
 
So...despite the fact that we have a brand new baby, life still manages to go on around us - crazy, huh?  :)

Friday was my last day of maternity leave - this week I head back for partial days to get Fynn (and I) acclimated to day care, then I'll be back to my normal schedule the week after. I can't believe how fast this time has gone - with paper revisions (two came out while I was on leave: in the Journal of Neuroimmunology  and in PLOS ONE), job interview prep and the actual interview (haven't heard back yet!), baptism, and lots of work on David's end of things.

Grandpa Leonard (David's grandpa Anderson, who Fynn Anders was named after) was transferred to Mayo in Rochester for the past week, and is now (I believe) back in Fairmont recovering! He was diagnosed with atypical encephalitis, and after the outlook appeared to be extremely bad, they appear to finally have things under control. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers, please!

The weekend after Fynn's baptism, Mia, Fynn, and I traveled back down to Martin County for Kendra's bridal shower at Waverly. It was a lot of fun to see all of the Waverly women, other neighbors, and friends and family, and Dan and Kendra got a bunch of great stuff! Plus, I got to finally introduce Fynn to a lot of people! Here are some photos from the event:







 The Garbers girls were there and very excited to meet Fynn for the first time!
 Dan's godmother, Lynn, stole him for the remainder of the shower - she even asked who was taking care of him during the wedding, but I warned her that my cousins were already in charge (she even guessed that it was Missy & Niko!).

While back home, we were finally able to see some progress on my parents' lake house that they are renovating. They purchased the house almost 2 years ago, but the home was gutted due to a small fire, so they are completely rebuilding the entire inside. Last fall they had an addition built, and this winter they had the entire place spray foamed for insulation, electrical and plumbing done, in-floor heat added to the main floor, and everything sheet-rocked (which is what we saw when we were last there over Christmas). In the meantime, they have painted the entire house, installed a wood ceiling in the living room, installed old barn beams as a structural support in the kitchen, installed a stacked wall to separate the office area from the kitchen, and installed wood flooring throughout the main level (and a ton of other stuff that I can't begin to list).  I just wanted to share some photos of their progress because I think it's amazing and I think you will, too!
 Stacked wood wall, dividing the office (left) from the kitchen (right).
 Stairway going down to the basement. They built the stairs, too!
 View of the stacked wall from the kitchen. Note the hardwood flooring, too (which is now stained and varnished).
 Stamping on the ends of the wood boards.
 These wood rafters and pillars were salvaged from an old barn on the farm!
 Living room - real wood panels on ceiling and back wall.
 Windows looking out to lake, fireplace will be to the right of the windows.
 Paint stenciled wall in the master bedroom, which is also on the main level.
 Hallway in basement - the red wood is old barn wood, also salvaged from the farm! It's gorgeous!!
 Cool, huh?

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, the house looks so great! SOOO different from when I last saw it! :)

Melissa said...

Wow, their house is looking great!! Can't wait to see it in a little over a month! Also, I love the fact that Lynn guessed who was taking care of the little guy at the wedding! ;)