Monday, July 01, 2013

I got a job!!


After applying for numerous teaching positions around the twin cities area and interviewing for 2, I finally got an offer for a biology faculty position at Concordia University-St. Paul! The whole interview process was kind of insane - I got an email about doing a Skype interview the week I was home for my little brother's wedding. I replied to say that I could do the interview, but needed to warn them that the internet spontaneously goes down on the farm, so I wasn't sure what to expect on the day of. The internet had been completely fine all week long, but 15 minutes before the scheduled interview (the day before the wedding), my dad came into the house to tell me that the internet was down. I ended up grabbing my things, hopping in the car, and flying over to a neighbor's house to use their internet. Got there, couldn't get on the wireless with either my laptop or ipad (couldn't figure out the password), ended up hopping onto one of their laptops, having to download and install Skype, and then attempt to remember my password to get logged in. My cell rings among all of this - they had originally tried calling my parent's land line, talked to my mom, and then tried me on my cell (which also has spotty service down there).  We hung up, got connected on Skype, and did the interview. During the interview, the phone in the office I was using rang (and I couldn't answer it since it wasn't my office!), the Skype disconnected (which luckily was on their end and not mine after all of the initial craziness), and I more than likely sounded a bit insane.  Thankfully, I must have been coherent enough that they had me come to campus for a second interview - this one with the Dean of the College of Education and Science. The email about the second interview came in the following week, in which the department head that I was communicating with informed me that I'd be meeting with Dean Don Helmstetter. As I was reading the email out loud to David, he didn't really respond and was busy messing around on his phone. I was kind of annoyed at the lack of response and asked him what he was doing. Then he said, "Guess what, the dean is from Trimont!" Turns out Dean Helmstetter was the former superintendent of our high school, knew David's folks, and one of his sons still lives in Trimont (and his daughter was friends with a girl that I used to nanny).  Oh, crazy small town life.  So, needless to say, this came up in our meeting and we did the normal small town thing of figuring out all of the possible connections we had. The second interview went well, and I learned a bit more about the position as well as got to tour the campus. (Crazy side note: the science building is littered with random stuffed animals - real ones, not toys. There are moose and dear heads mounted in the faculty conference room - and the moose is wearing a sombrero!)  I waited on pins and needles for over a week, then got an offer! I accepted last week, and now I'm just wrapping up loose ends at my post-doc and prepping for the last half of the summer course that I was already scheduled to teach at the U. I'll start at Concordia August 1st - and it will be a whirlwind first couple of years as I attempt to generate materials for many new classes! I have an idea of what I'll be teaching this first year, but nothing concrete yet. Right now, I'm just trying to get things finalized for the summer course so that I can hit the ground running once August comes! I'm excited and anxious about the change!

1 comment:

Laura said...

So so so excited for you!